Hi there Readers,
When you’re on the road, healthy options can often be few and far between. Plus, if you’re travelling for business or pleasure, it can be challenging to even find the time to concentrate on your health with all of the distractions that surround you. However, travelling doesn’t mean that your healthy lifestyle needs to be placed on ‘pause’ – it’s absolutely possible to fuel your body while on vacations or work trips.
With these handy tips in mind, you can learn how to stay healthy while travelling so you can enjoy your trip to the fullest.
1. SLEEP, SLEEP, AND SLEEP. The most important thing you can do while traveling is sleep. Your body needs rest when you’re physically traveling, crossing time zones, carrying luggage to and from destinations, walking all day, and so forth. Traveling is harsh on your body so make sure you get plenty of rest.
2. PACE YOURSELF. Don’t try to see the entire city all in one day. If you plan to do a lot in a big city, consider staying longer to slow down your pace and spread your itinerary. You’ll also get to know the area more instead of just being able to say that you’ve “been there.” Be active and roam the streets, but don’t overdo it. Take plenty of breaks in between.
3. STRETCH IT OUT! Have a full day ahead? Dedicate at least 5-10 minutes every morning to stretch before you start your day of adventure. Stretch your arms, legs, neck, shoulders, and back – you’ll feel so refreshed. It’s easy to sneak in simple neck and shoulder stretches throughout the day while you’re waiting for your food, the bathroom, transportation, etc.
4. BREATHE. You can do breathing exercises anywhere and anytime. Take a deep breath, hold it, and exhale. Repeat. It helps you relax and counter the stress of traveling.
5. WALK EVERYWHERE. Get your daily exercise and truly learn about a place at the same time. The train station is 1.5 miles away? How about walking there instead of hopping on metro? Skip the elevator or escalator and walk the stairs instead!
6. HAVE AN EXERCISE ROUTINE. Get a hotel with a fitness center or purchase a temporary pass at the local gym. If not, you can always work out in your room (pushups, sit ups, yoga poses, jumping jacks – get creative!) or do a run in the neighborhood. Some public beaches even have a free workout area for people to use. Have a schedule in mind and stick to it, whether it is exercising every other day at 8 am or every two days at 3 pm.
7. HYDRATE. Carry a water bottle with you at all times. Drink enough water even though it may not be convenient to find public restrooms on the road. It’s the foundation of your livelihood. Your body will THANK YOU.
8. TAKE YOUR VITAMINS. It can be difficult to eat a healthy balanced meal with all the essential vitamins when traveling so take your daily multi-vitamins to supplement your meals.
9. PROTECT YOUR SKIN. Protect your skin from being outdoors by wearing sunscreen with minimum SPF 15. Reapply every two hours if you can. If you’re visiting an area with a large population of mosquitoes and insects, be sure to wear insect repellent to prevent bites.